Autumn Cozy

Photo by Alisa Anton on Unsplash

My last post was a month ago. So much has been happening in my life. I have finished editing the book I have been working on for two years. I have taken classes on all sorts of things like letting myself off the hook for past things I have said to myself. I have worked on organizing my home so it is easier for my honey, who had a stroke last year, to navigate. All while I work full-time. Life has been full, to say the least, but while my life has been happening, Autumn has been trying to sneak in. Blankets are coming out of closets. Sweaters are making appearances. Cocoa is back in the house for hot cocoa and the feeling of cozy has returned. 

Growing up in NJ we had four distinct seasons. Now living in Georgia for 21+ years I have really missed the NJ seasons. We live in two seasons, Hot & Hotter. We have a month maybe in January where it is a little cold, but other than that we sweat down here. You have to hunt to see the trees change color along with being there at the exact time they changed or you miss it. I live to chase fall across the state in a lot of car trips. Where are the leaves peeping? Let's go! If there was a smell for this season I would say cinnamon. Every time I smell it I year for a brisk fall breeze. I yearn to wear a fall-colored sweater. I only own two because fall is fleeting in Ga. 

This season holds my heart. In NJ there are festivals in barns. There are tents lined up for other festivals with caramel apples, candies hand-made, hot cider poured out constantly, and of course apple cider doughnuts. The food, the markets, the festivals are amazing, but the best thing to watch was always the hot air balloon festival. That to me was the start of the season. The candles being sold smelled like candy corn or caramel, Sweets were everywhere and tempted every person who walks by them. Bright red, dark brown, oranges, and yellows. You were constantly licking your lips.

Autumn and I are best friends. We have a long history. I photograph its colors. It drops its leaves at me to wink. I hug its bark, and it drops small branches at my feet. There is magic in the air and apples in the orchards. Our senses are on full alert at this time of year. We lean into autumn like it is our favorite sweater. We wear it proudly. We embrace this season like no other. Well, I do. This is when I come alive. I can hike again and not die in the heat, I can wear sweaters and drink tea, I can buy pumpkin doughnuts, pumpkin cereal, pumpkin everything. Apple cider is king and pumpkin is queen. 

Obviously, this is my favorite time of year. Especially if I am visiting NJ. NJ autumn puts on a spectacular show. I live in Georgia and I chase leaves and I am ok with that. I hope this finds you enjoying whatever season you are entering. Find your joy in the smells, the sights, the tastes, and the touch of it all. Enjoy your life and live it safely and let me say, taking a hike in the woods is definitely six feet from anyone else, except maybe the trees, but they only want to give you the gifts of this season, so hug them and just say thank you to them.

May the breeze of Autumn whisper your name and call you into nature this season so you may be blessed with seeing all the abundant gifts this season has for you.

Your storyteller/Poet
Debbie

xoxoxoxox Enjoy whatever season you are in, in life, and in whatever part of this wonderful world you are in.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Stories, Crazy Love Coffee Shop

Sunday Stories: Time Spent Well.

Third Place on a Sunday