Pretending Poem

Sometimes I write short stories. Sometimes I write poetry. Sometimes a little of both or none. And if none then I read. This quote inspired this poem and I hope you like it.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
— Kurt Vonnegut

I pretended to be a wife,
he pretended I was his life.
I pretended to smile,
he pretended not to notice it had been awhile.

He pretended to show affection,
I pretended our love was not an infection.
His arms did not hold me,
I yearned for him to be bold with me.

We pretended to care and go through the motions,
We pretended to love and live in the emotion.
Pretending we performed, pretending we lived,

Pretending in the end was what cost us our love.


Life is sometimes real, but for some it is pretending to see the light even though they live in darkness. So many people deal with depression,suicidal thoughts, and numerous other mental orders. They are not visibly seen by others, but are a silent suffering disease. I wrote this from a wife's point of view. It could honestly be from anyone's point of view. In any relationship there is the potential to pretend. If we are honest we do not want that, but for so many settling is the best they think they deserve and so they pretend. If you are someone you know is suffering with depression or suicidal thoughts be there for them through it and know just because it has no outwardly seen symptoms it is still deadly.

Hope you are all well :D
your story teller/poet
Debbie
xoxo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Stories, Crazy Love Coffee Shop

Sunday Stories: Time Spent Well.

Third Place on a Sunday