The Gift of Time

                                                            Me and My Mom

My mom was 77 when she died. I thought she would live much longer, but my family makes it to 77 or 78, which is about it. I turn 56 this year and I know my days are decreasing. I don't think this or write it because I am grim. I say it because time is an allusion. You think you have time to go on that trip. You think you know where life will lead you, but it changes every minute. Life is finite. It has a beginning and an end. I heard someone say that you see on a cemetery stone a date for a birth and a date for a death.

That dash is where the magic happens. That dash is the part of life that matters. It is where you show kindness. It is where you help others. It is where you have the chance to accomplish your dreams. Once you are on the other side of the dash, it is too late. 

Life is long and short all in one breath. It is heartache and sunshine and rainbows and rain. It is a mixed bag of emotions, loved ones, jobs, kids, pets, and everything else mixed in. What you do with that dash is up to each of us.

I never really paid attention to that dash. I never gave it another glance until someone mentioned it to me. It seems I don't pay much attention to those everyday things until someone says, " Hey did you know?" Why is that? Why do we take this short life for granted, me included, and not pay much attention. I go from day to day to day. I go through the motions and not pay attention to the important things like someone hurting, someone having a bad day, someone screaming mentally for attention and me missing it all. 

I struggle to zone into others' feelings. I struggle with saying the right things. I struggle with basically being a good human being. I struggle with people. I like living in my cacoon. I do not participate in groups anymore, church, or anything pretty much other than work and housework. Why did it take someone else pointing out the dash to catch my attention? Life is short. Life seems long when we are struggling, but when we lose someone it feels like life was too quick. My mom was only 77. She had a lot of health issues, but I did not think we would lose her so young. 

Life is fast and slow all at the same time. Look at that dash when you go to a cemetery. Really look at it. Wonder what that person did with that time in the dash. 

I pray you are living your best lives. I pray you make the most our of your dash.


Your friend

Debbie xoxoxoxo
 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Stories, Crazy Love Coffee Shop

Sunday Stories: Time Spent Well.

Third Place on a Sunday