Writing my Heart Out

 


So I am reading a book about leaving your day job to follow your passion. Jon Acuff's book quitter has opened my eyes to a lot of things about writing. I love my day job so was not ready to leave it to write, but Jon pointed out a few things that I did not have in place to leave a full-time job anyways. I knew I could not quit and write my heart out and pay my bills. I knew I wouldn't have insurance, money to pay the house, all of those things I love, you know like food. His book is titled Quitter and after reading three of his books, I have to say this one is my favorite. 

Writing my heart out is a good hustle. Getting paid here or there for an article published is great, but it can cause my head to think, well then I do not need my day job and I would be wrong in saying so. I continue to write. I'm trying to republish my witch book. I submit to online and offline magazines, and I keep hustling, WHILE I stay at my day job. Jon mentioned that he was told numerous times to quit his full-time job and in honesty, he says he knew he was not ready and nor am I.

Writing at the start allows you to publish and get paid for OTHERS publishing your words. The goal is to get published and get paid for your own words in your own books. I am a ton of steps away from that. This blog has been going for years, does it pay, nope not yet, but I hustle from my heart to you all about my journey. You may have a similar journey with your own hustle. You may just work full-time and not hustle, but for me, I need to write my heart out. I cannot do that homeless and without food, so I work full-time too.

As a culture of instant gratification, we want to achieve things instantly. We want to write an article and make a million dollars for it. It does not work that way. We take steps forward and it may take years, a  lifetime, a decade, or however long, but as long as I am writing my heart out, I am a happy girl. I am following my passion and hustling to get published. I write one word, then another, then connect them and I do all I can to move forward. I strive to write better, to submit to new places to be published, and I feel these are steps in the right direction. 

I may retire and say, well now I have time to write, and never write again. Right now is my time to write. Before work, before judgment on my words sets in, before I hit the ground running. Right now, right here, I write. As you strive to achieve your passion, don't see your day job as the enemy, it is allowing you the time to hustle, so as Jon says, when you are ready you go do it full-time. 

If you do not know who Jon Acuff is, here is his link Jon Acuff  Listen to some of his podcasts to see if you like him, buy a book, read his information and make your own decision. You know I am honest is what I say to you all, you know I would not send you to a site unless I believe in what I read. I also read his book Start and Finish, and in that order because hello I am OCD. Check him out online for free and make your own decision. 

As for me and my hustle of writing, well I am just going to keep ongoing. Jon's book encouraged me to keep going and follow my passion while still working my full-time job. I love that he keeps it real about his struggles, his journey, and aims to share in a way that you know he is really about what he has to say.

If you go look him up, I would love to know what you think. Please come back and leave a comment.

I pray you are well, safe, and following your hustle.


Your story teller/poet/friend

Debbie

xoxoxoxox


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Stories, Crazy Love Coffee Shop

Sunday Stories: Time Spent Well.

Third Place on a Sunday