Monday Story, Bonus Edition

  

coffee time

A few years back I spent the summer traveling in Georgia to different coffee shops. Coffee is my jam.
I love sitting in these lovely places and just people-watching. I listen to snippets of conversations and imagine everyone's life.  Who are these folks? Why did they come in today? Did they meet someone they were supposed to? Or perhaps someone new? 

If you have been following me for a while you know I am obsessed with the theory of the third place. If you have not let me briefly explain the concept. The theory states that you have a home, work, and a third place. The third place is a safe space in the community where you can relax, talk with others, and just enjoy yourself safely. No judgment, just relaxation. 

There are books on it, it is a real thing. Look it up. I did my 24-page graduation thesis on it. I used two books and juxtaposed two different third places. One an urban space, one a park. I used it on papers all through my college years and I was fascinated that no one knew of its existence. 

So with my obsession with this theory, I travel and observe. I look for places that fit. It could be a comic book shop, a store with everyone's favorite coffee. It could be the local part and people playing frisbee. Sometimes it's the lake with families coming together to cook out. The third-place can look as different as people look different. It is a safe space, but your utilizing it is what makes it a great third space. 

On this early Monday morning, I hope you had a fantastic weekend. I pray you had a good third place to unwind this weekend and that you are ready for a new week now. As for me, yeah I woke up early with this post on my heart. With covid and all that we have dealt with I feel even getting out into a green space to kick a ball around counts. Get out with your family, or whomever you feel safe with and enjoy some coffee, some music, and some grass under your feet. 

May this day be a blessing. May the coffee be strong, may the Monday mayhem be limited, and may you remember everyone is dealing with this mess as best they can, don't slam them for trying. We are all just trying to move forward together.

Your friend, storyteller.poet
Debbie
xoxoxoxoxo











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Stories, Crazy Love Coffee Shop

Sunday Stories: Time Spent Well.

Third Place on a Sunday