A Hole Called Life


 Spreading his wings, this hawk flies free. Summer allows us to feel more free. All the laundry still needs to be done. All the chores remain unfinished. Red white and blue bomb pops call us. Lemonade is made and poured. Popsicle sticks dropped on the back steps. It is a hole called life. Summer we come out of that hole and say HELLO WORLD LET'S DO THIS!

We used to have inflatable pools for all the neighbor kids to come over and enjoy, which ended up in tons of towels on the line to dry. The backyard was dotted with pool toys. More drinks were poured and snacks were shared. Stories were told on towels when everyone was catching their breath. 

Summer is here. It is hot and bright and demands your attention. The yard needs to be mowed. The bushes need to be trimmed, but the Bocchi ball calls us. Ring toss challenges issued. Races across the yard called out as the first person is always sprinting toward the imaginary finish line. 

As Summer, you entice me to your rays. You summon me outside. Lightening bugs putting on a show. Honeysuckle smells blow across the yard at night. A swing for two was put out by the lights. Late-night talks, holding hands, and dreams are shared with the ones we love.

Summers spent at local lakes, boating with friends, floating by boat to our favorite restaurant to celebrate a Wednesday night. A flight of drinks shared among friends while listening to a live band we have never heard before and staying out past the hour it gets dark. 

I write this as I watch the fireflies dancing around my backyard and I am in amazement at how each year they come still, they light up to find their mate, but I like to think they came for me. I know they did not, but I enjoy the show. I literally scream with joy even at 54 when I see the summer's first fireflies or as I like to call them lightning bugs. 

I pray your summer is filled with wonder, excitement, and joy. Go grab a red, white, and blue bomb pop on me :) Happy Summer to you all. Find something this season to contemplate, a new place to go, something magical and marvelous for you.


Your lightening bug chasing ( yes I still chase them at 54) friend,

Debbie

xoxoxox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Stories, Crazy Love Coffee Shop

Sunday Stories: Time Spent Well.

Third Place on a Sunday