Sunday Stories: Listening

 

                                            Photo by Tomas Anton Escobar on Unsplash


There was a book I read  awhile ago that said to listen. I believe it was by Julia Cameron. I have read the Artist Way and liked it but, her book Seeking Wisdom was the book that stuck with me. She is a brilliant writer and her words opened my ears. I started writing down what I heard first thing in the morning, I left my phone untouched.  The cat helps because he  loves the window open first thing in the morning, It has cooled a tiny bit at 6AM in Georgia 

First, I make sure he has food and water, then I make my coffee and sit down to listen. He just sits quietly in the open window waiting to tell any bird, squirrel, or lord forbid a cat walks into his backyard, he will tell it off quickly and loudly. Most mornings though he sits and listens. I sit and listen. You can hear the early morning train clackety clacking down the tracks. You can hear the birds quietly waking up and starting to stir and sing. 

When I sit and listen to the day, I get to set the tone for it. the day does not dictate my life, I set my intention while listening to nature. The phone gets picked up after the listening, after the coffee, and after the cat has had food and snacks. Starting my day by being present has been a gift. It has a slowness to it that I love. I have been learning to leave my phone far from me from time to time. I am more present for the people around me. I am giving them my true attention. 

In the morning, at 7AM Monday to Friday I can hear music going on, on the base. It calls the men and women to wake each day. Work starts at 7:30. I only live a few miles from an Air Force Base and I love hearing it daily. When I was buried in my phone I rarely heard it. In listening to the world first thing in the morning, I relaxed, started my day slowly, and love listening to the clickety-clack of the train riding the rails through my sleepy town. 

Whatever I hear, I now pay closer attention to it. My neighbor starting her car to go off to work. The train at 8AM. The owls finishing their nightly whoo whooing before the sunrises. I loved the book, but I'm not saying buy it, though if you want to, it is money well spent. I am saying be more present. Leave the phone alone for the first hour you are up. Listen to what the world has to say to you as you go about your day! 

I pray you are well and listening.

your friend

Debbie xoxoxoxoxo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Stories, Crazy Love Coffee Shop

Sunday Stories: Time Spent Well.

Third Place on a Sunday