Sunday Stories, A Happy Life

 


If you have been following me for some time, you know I am from NJ. The picture above is from an area close to where I grew up. This tree always makes me stop and take notice of it. On this day I stopped to actually photograph it. It is branches and greenery and all on a farm. This is what I think of when I think of NJ. Not what exit on the freeway I am from. A lot of people have the wrong idea in their minds about NJ. 

Growing up in Joisey (as my fam and I say it ) I was filled with a desire to travel, but I realize how lucky I was to grow up in this beautiful state. When we moved to this area, we were moving out of a little city to the county and had no idea what was in store for us. One time upon returning home about eight horses were grazing in our side yard. My mom, ever the hoot, pulled the car up to the garage, instructed us all to stay in the car so we didn't get run over, and called 911. 

When the cops came they knew whose horses were in our yard. They led us to them and helped us pet them all. The farmer came with his truck and all to take these beautiful ladies home. I was sad, so he stayed a while and told us about each horse and its names. He lived down the road and invited us anytime to come and visit them. I was living in a dream.

I bought my first car and it was a bright orange Nissan. (this is important to know for this story) as I drove down the road I was forced to halt when a large bull started charging my car. He wanted to come at me and come at me hard. I backed away, and he stomped. He came again to my car. I managed to get out, go around the back of the car and knock on a door. The lady would not let me in, but also did not believe me. Told me I shouldn't lie. I said I would wait and she could lock the door and go look out her front window. 

After a moment she came back to the door and said, "Well I'll be damned" handed me the phone and I called 911. I looked at her and asked, do you call 911 for a bull? Apparently, you did. The cops came out and again rubbed on the bull. They nuzzled him, called him by name and the bull who was trying to charge me was another farmer's pet bull. I was sure I was being punked. the farmer came with his vehicle loaded the now domicile bull, apologized, and left. The police asked if  I was ok. I just said I was going home. I told my mom who thought I was lying until the cop came to my house to make sure I wasn't too shaken up from the bull. My mom's mouth was open and just hanging.

When I was 19 I got married and move to Germany for four years of my life. I traveled with a friend to Sweden, Holland, the Checz republic twice, Austria, and Paris France. I had no children yet and my husband was away a lot for work due to the military. I got to travel with my girlfriend Heather and see the world. I worked at the daycare on base with her for three years. I have to say seeing the Keukenhof in Holland was probably my favorite thing. Holland is by far my favorite county.

Life is not always happy. I remember the not-so-good times too. I choose to focus on the happy life experiences that solidified who I am. The ones that made me the strong warrior I am now. There were years of not-so-good things happening, which I thought would never end, but they did and I am stronger for them now. Life has its ebbs and flows. It is like a tide going in and out. Good and bad, bad and good. I like to see the glass half full. Life is full of wonder and excitement and who knows what is coming around the bend. I used to focus on all the bad things that could happen, but somewhere in my 53 years of life, there has been a turnaround. I hope you see life with the eyes of a child. Taking in everything around you.

Before I go I must share with you my childish jubilation about fireflies. The other night was the first time of this season that I saw them. I leaped out my back door and just stood in the dark of my backyard and watched in amazement. All the little lights flashing, each one lighting up the sky, and me standing there trying to catch one, that came close, to my hands. It made me laugh out loud. I was eight again standing watching this amazing show and trying to capture it in my mind forever. There used to be a lot more, but I am sure global warming has something to do with the amount we still have.  May their light never be extinguished and may their light always remind me of the happy life I had, have and hope to continue to have.

May the light of the lightning bugs get you through your dark days.

Your storyteller/poet

Debbie

xoxoxox

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this post. It is good to learn more about the person behind the blog.
    Lauren - bournemouthgirl

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Stories, Crazy Love Coffee Shop

Sunday Stories: Time Spent Well.

Third Place on a Sunday