Sunday Stories: Sister Edition

 

My baby sister came down to visit. She wanted to get matching inks. So we did. I will upload a photo soon. My sister is the one on the right, I'm on the left. Her first ink, my tenth. We are ten years apart but incredibly close. I would do anything for her and I know her for me. We got to spend five glorious days together. We said next time it wouldn't be 5 years till we see each other again.

We grew up together. Me older, her following me. Me getting ready to go out with friends and her at the door with her coat on ready to come with us. My friends were gracious and of course, we took her with us and my friends spoiled her. I was very grateful for them.

She decided to come to Georgia to see her big sister. We got to babysit my sweet grandbaby. We got to food shop together. We got to just do fire and make smores. We sat and we talked. We relaxed. We let our anxieties fall to the floor and just be together. She lives far from me, or maybe I live far from her, but no matter the distance we are bounded through this life. 

Getting matching ink is an experience we will both never forget.  She was scared. I was like bring it on. We talked about the ink for months. What of, where on our bodies, how big, black and white or color. We went simple in the end and black and white. We took a trip to AZ for her 40th birthday a few years back and both of us and my lovely daughter fell in love with it hard. My sister and I dream of moving there. 

As we both age, we realize more and more how important we are to each other even with the distance. Taking her back to the airport today was hard. I wanted her to stay longer, but she has a family waiting on her so I have to share, but the fact that she flew to see me means the world to me. Sisters share a special bond. 

Life has taught me hard things, easy things, things I wouldn't listen to and things I heard but ignored. None of these apply to anything with my sister. I am so lucky to have her in my life. If you have a sister you know what that bond is like. You know how difficult it is to say goodbye to your sister. We have matching tattoos, but we also have matching hearts when it comes to how much we love each other. 

Let us hope that next spring I can go up and see her and her lovely family. She is the only family member who comes to me, who breaks my heart when she leaves, who holds my heart. I love the rest of my family like a madwoman, do not get me wrong, but there is something special about the love of sisters. Am I right?

I pray you are well, your family is well, and that you are blessed with a sister too. I know I would not even know what to do without my sister. We vent, we talk, we got to shop together when she was down. We got to have fun and buy each other things. We got to sit and just talk face to face and it was magical.

Here is to a great week ahead for you and your family. 

Your storyteller/poet

Debbie

xoxoxoxox


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Stories, Crazy Love Coffee Shop

Sunday Stories: Time Spent Well.

Third Place on a Sunday