Sunday Stories, Finding Joy

 


Finding joy lately seems to be harder for us all. We are struggling with this pandemic. We are trying to move from day one to day two and avoid getting ill. We are consumed with shots, boosters, masks, no masks, people, no people, what is ok, and what is not. It is chaotic at best and dreadful at worst.

I work with essential oils and have been working on mixes for mood, for uplifting smells. I find that smells play a big part in my moods. Peppermint helps with my migraines and also in mopping with it, my house smells amazing. I inhale tea tree from a diffuser to ward off sinus infections. I love lavender for a calming effect. Eucalyptus hanging in my shower mixing with the steam also helps me breathe better. 

I feel smells can make a mood better. Walking into an open house with a house that smells like cupcakes or banana bread will make you see the house as welcoming and homey. If it smells of disinfectant then you are turned off and perhaps walk away from this house. Smell has the power to make or break something. Like a guy, get in close, and smell B.O. or bad breath, you note it, and you may or may not talk to him again. 

Imagine the seasons, do they have their own smells? Of Course. If you like the smell of banana bread, apple pies, open windows, and crisp air, then fall may be your favorite season. Like the smell of snow, the cold air on your checks, and hiking in the woods, well maybe winter is your season. Each season has its own, to quote Jon Acuff, it has its own soundtrack.

Finding joy has been tough, but maybe putting on your favorite old vinyl record, making some chocolate chip cookies, and filling the house with the sounds and smells you like are a great way to combat that chaos going on outside our doors. Get some oils, and some books on essential oils, and start spreading the loving smells. Trust me when you smell heaven in your home, the chaos outside your door melts away. 

Today I made us a nice big Sunday breakfast, for lunch a hearty and hefty lunch. The smells filling my home make my heart feel better. I have fed my family well. They loved what I carefully prepared for them. To me, there is no better smell out there. Family and family meals calm me. They make the noise in the world not so bad. They make life feel a little bit nicer. 

I pray you are safe, you have your loved ones with you, and that the smells you smell are of great food and baking and whatever your heart needs. Tune out the noise outside and tune into filling your home with the smells of warmth and love and caring.

Have a great weekend,
your friend, Debbie
xoxoxoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Stories, Crazy Love Coffee Shop

Sunday Stories: Time Spent Well.

Third Place on a Sunday