Sunday Stories, Non Relaxation Edition

 

Photo by Nick Page on Unsplash

Weekends are for relaxing. They are for slower pace days. They are filled with walks and friends and good food until you need to mow, do laundry, cook, clean and flip mattresses. When the day takes a turn and now it is about cramming everything you need to do before work into one day, well that is a non-relaxation day. It is a day about hurrying up, running here, there, everywhere, cooking all the foods, prepping for the week, getting it done hurry, hurry, hurry, and then exhaustion sets in, and when we hit Monday we are already tired and ready for another day off. 

I truly believe we need three-day weekends each and every weekend. We need two days to take care of our own stuff and a day to truly relax. We are horrible at self-care. We rush and struggle. We are truly never present when we are rushing through life like this. We are thinking of the next three things we need to do. I know for me I am already thinking that we have a meeting tomorrow, I have this and that to do at work. I have another meeting Wednesday and this next weekend I'll be away on a trip, so gotta get the weekend stuff done Friday. 

When do we take time for ourselves? When do we take a walk for our health? When do we stop cleaning and sit our butts down? We are a nation of go go go, but at some point, our bodies will say no. Our bodies will shut down and that is that. Why not take time now for your family, your health, and your Loved ones. 

For my self-care is knitting, or reading, and when it isn't blazing hot, sitting out back in my swing and reading. It is a happy place for me. I have a table, I have twinkles, I have tea or lemonade and I sit and swing and just daydream of whatever. Is it my time to let my mind go and relax? It lets me stop thinking about all I need to do and just be.  I can be still and listen to the birds. I can listen to my swing creaking. I can listen to people outside playing and neighbors coming and going. I can let my mind relax. 

Self-care can be just lighting a candle and breaking in the fragrance. It can be walking around the block. It can be hiking, biking, or just sitting out back and losing focus of the world and letting our minds daydream. This world is spinning so fast and I know we all struggle with our balance. We shift from foot to foot, or thing to thing, and struggle to stay upright. Why do we think we can do it all and not fall down? 

For me, I struggle with doing the inside things and the outside things. One is always sliding down on top of me. It's the front yard or the back, the laundry or the dusting. The cooking or the eating out. What gives so I keep sane. Let me tell you today I fell and I fell hard. I had to get out of my own house to relax. I see things that need cleaning, need whatever and I just tried to stay afloat, but when I stopped kicking I didn't sink, I bobbed along. I got nothing else done but I relaxed into the current and felt better. I cannot do it all. I def cannot do it all in one weekend. If I do, I suffer. I need time to relax, to read, to just be. To let my mind wander. To write to you all. I wrote a piece about relaxation a few pieces ago using the Italian phrase , Dolce far Niente, the art of doing nothing.  I struggle with this. My grandfather came over when he was a boy from Naples with his big Italian family. I imagine them saying the phrase to get everyone to settle down, to place bocci, to enjoy doing nothing.

Let this be a reminder, that we are not here to do it all, practice self-care. Practice relaxation, meditation, walking, whatever you need to take care of yourself. May your weekend be a peaceful one surrounded by friends and loved ones and bocci ball challenges, grilling out, eating in the back yard and wet beach towels all around for your loved ones to use.

Happy Weekending to you all.

Your friend, Debbie

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoox



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Stories, Crazy Love Coffee Shop

Sunday Stories: Time Spent Well.

Third Place on a Sunday