Poetry and Types of Poems

So we all know, well people who write poetry most know of Haiku and Sonnet styles. My favorite is an Acrostic type of poem where you use a word like LOVE and write a poem using each letter as the first letter of each line. Like this:

Latter he went to her at the lake
Over the frozen water he floated
Very determined to be with her again
Every time they were together was magic.

But recently I have looked at all my writer books, my poetry books, and my books from my undergrad and they all stop at Haiku and Sonnet. This prompted a search and this blog post. I wanted to share with you what I found.

ABC poem is where you use each letter of a poem to write a poem about feelings or whatever.

Allegory is a poem with a deeper meaning under the underlying words.

Cinquain: A Cinquain is a poem of 5 lines of varied length and rhyme. The main feature of a Cinquain is that the first line consists of 1 word, the second of 2 words, the 3rd has three and on it goes.
 
Sestina (Sestine): This is a type of poem with 6 stanzas. The lines are not rhymed but the end word of every line in the first stanza appears in other stanzas.

Narrative poetry is poetry that tells a story. Usually a  ballad is the most popular kind written. Like Miltons Lycidas poem.

Here is a really good link to look up some more Types of Poetry 
 
With so many great types of poetry no wonder poetry is so amazing. I love writing Acrostic, but plan on changing it up with maybe an Allegory or Narrative. 
 
Poetry is such a great form of expression.
 
I hope you are doing some writing. I feel the next witch chapter brewing in my cauldron of my mind.
Till we meet again,
your story teller/poet
Debbie
xo
 
 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Stories, Crazy Love Coffee Shop

Sunday Stories: Time Spent Well.

Third Place on a Sunday