Winter Season Self Care

Ive noticed with winter here that life slows down and I wrote a little something about it that I want to share with you all.




Winter Season is in full swing. I find myself hunkering in. I find myself in PJ’s early, hot cocoa in hand, and books piled by my couch waiting for me to read and linger over. I’m in hibernation until Spring. I yearn to knit, to feel something with texture, to do a multimedia piece (even though I never have before), and I light candles like never before. I left up some twinkles to get me through to when the light returns and I live to just sit by twinkle and candlelight. It makes me happy and of course, there are tons of winter blankets all over the house so anyone can snuggle up anytime they want to.
Winter to so many is a blecky season. It makes people depressed, it encases them in their home, it keeps them cut off from friends, family, and groups that they would normally be involved in. It is dark and dreary and sad to so many. Winter is an unhappy time for people due to darkness and isolation. Attempting to self-care for yourself is harder to do when your mood just keeps you from doing much of anything. It is important that we try. Our spirits do not have to sink when the light does.

Winter can be a time of self-soothing. We slow down. We can linger easier. Outside activities are non-existent. Our children do not have baseball, soccer, or other outside events. They also get to slow down, relax in pajamas all day if they want, and read. The Library, I am convinced, does most of its business in the winter. We have time to linger, read, and relax. Pajamas and books go so well with a hot cup of cocoa.

Taking care of ourselves is key. And fragrance plays a huge part in that. You can light candles, you can mop with your cleaner and some essential oils added, you can put an eye pillow with lavender in it and add some lavender oil to it. If you are looking to be uplifted then peppermint or spearmint is your go to. Hanging Eucalyptus in the shower while you shower also is relaxing to your soul. Scents are very powerful. If fresh cookie smell relaxes you buy a candle that smells like that. If you like your home to smell naturally try some oranges, apples, cinnamon, and whole cloves. You could also combine other items. I love bringing in the season and do a little space of what the seasons have to offer like some pine branches, come pinecones, some berries from a winter bush, some holly leaves, and place them all together and burn a douglas fir candle.

Seasons change, our moods go with each change, we shed our layers, we move into spring just like nature. We let ourselves be lifted by the light that lingers longer. We wake earlier, we stay up longer, and we shift and change to usher in a new season. With each seasonal change, we change, even if we do not realize it. We strive for consistency, but in all honesty, we are all just trying to make it to another day and change is always a part of it, even if we do not notice it.

I believe taking care of ourselves falls to the side so often. We work, we are moms, we run companies, we are dealing with everyone and everyone else's issues. In winter with the snow falling and confined to inside through dreary days, I believe that this allows us time to recharge our batteries. I hope this winter you take care of yourself and know the light is returning soon. Spring is right around the corner so hang on.

Your story teller/poet
Debbie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Stories, Crazy Love Coffee Shop

Sunday Stories: Time Spent Well.

Third Place on a Sunday