A Letter to Autumn

 

September is here. I felt a jolt of joy in my heart as I flipped the calendar this morning. Autumn is nipping at Septembers heels. Cooler temperatures are coming soon. The seasons are shifting and I feel every flicker as they do. Yes, this is my fifty-second fall, but yes, this is my season. Cooler weathers, windows open, breezes dancing with my curtains. This is my season of Joy!

Fall comes in like a whisper. It is soft and gentle with us. It nudges summer slowly out of the way and leaves us yearning for campfires, for lit candles, for snuggles under cozy blankets, and dreaming of hot cocoa. This is a season filled with excitement. Pumpkin spiced coffee, breezes blowing my hair, the cat jumping from window to open window, trying to tell off the squirrels. This is the season of changing leaves, of raking, of trimming bushes and burning the cut offs. It makes me feel loved. It is as if the season has reached out its outstretched branches and nuzzled me in for some secret girl talk.

This autumn season is brief in Georgia. A few weeks at most. I am a Joisey gal and yearn for those long cool nights, sitting around a fire pit with my brother, and just relaxing with family. They are still in NJ and me in GA, but those memories come alive as I look into my own fire pit now. I smell all the s’mores we used to make. I remember the long talks and drinks as we stayed up excessively late. Fall has me falling back and leaning into those memories hard.

Fall is my friend. My snuggly loving caring friend. It is a season filled with warm embraces, knit sweaters, leaves changing colors in front of my eyes. This season is my happy place. When I feel the first distance breeze struggling to blow by, my eyes widen. I hear it. The sounds of leaves beginning to rustle about. I drink more tea then coffee. I stay out on my swing in the backyard most of the day. I pull up a table, I bring a book or pen and paper, and I draw and paint. There is nothing I cannot do in fall. It is one of my best friends.

As the seasons change, I hike more; I continue my weight loss journey. I strive to make myself a better person changing my leaves, as it may be, and attempt to make myself a better person through this season. I wander more. I explore the mushrooms popping up all over the trails. I photograph every bit I can to remember its fleeting loveliness when it is gone. Fall is a time of wonder and I pray you get to go out into it and have a renewed sense of purpose, but if not then have a cup of tea, sit, and marvel at the amazing show fall is putting on for us all.

Happy Season Changing,

Your story teller/poet,

Debbie

xoxoxox


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Stories, Crazy Love Coffee Shop

Sunday Stories: Time Spent Well.

Third Place on a Sunday