A lil New Jersey




 This is a sign, or was, in the Newark airport. I don't know if it is there still as I am flying into Philly airport now.  I was walking by and turned to catch it, so it is a big blurry mess, but when you are running to catch a plane, you snap and keep running. 

I grew up in New Jersey but always felt I did not belong in that state. I even asked my mom once if she adopted me from the South, and her response was, "Don't be ridiculous you look just like me." And she is right. I could be her twin. 

My mom has been gone only a little over two months. The waves of grief come and go, and the tears keep pouring out. My heart is shattered. I know it will take a long time to heal it. I have read three grief books, gotten her words tattooed on my arm (in her writing) and I am on the fourth book. Apparently, reading about grief and tattoos on my arm is how I am dealing with this. 

Have you lost a loved one? I am guessing you have. I am guessing you have had your own way of dealing with it. Did you read like me? Do something else to honor them? What got you through it? I read this morning and there was a phrase in the book that made me angry, it said when you are fixed again you will be fine. Fixed? Excuse me? Yeah, I stopped reading that book right away. 

I feel like everyone has their own grief path to travel. We all deal with death in different ways. I don't think someone needs to be fixed. I am not a grief counselor, but honestly am thinking about going for my master's in it. I struggle daily with the death of my mother. My grandparents died so many years ago, but I do not remember the grief being this heavy. A parent, to me, seems heavier. I am struggling to stay afloat. 

I read that you don't want to live without the person who has died, but that does not mean you do not want to commit suicide. I thought that was a sentence that said a lot with a small number of words. I have had those exact thoughts. This life without the only parent I had seems horrible at best and I struggle to get through one day to the next. I do not want to work, I do not want to see friends, I want to live under a rock, but I know my mom would want me to live my best life, so for now, my best life is living one day to the next and that is ok.

Grief has a way of changing how we look at life. We have one quick life and not one minute more and what we do with our time is what matters, so I think for now, for me, I will be writing about grief, about how I get to the next day. I do not need to be fixed; I just need someone to listen. 

Grief is fickle pickle, which I now have my grandbaby saying. She loves saying fickle pickle. I know if I was not here on this earth, I would miss her and all the rest of my family. So, I plan on sticking around, but I am not the same as before my mother died. I am more somber. More subdued, and I think that is my grief. I have not laughed or smiled. I struggle daily to be ok.

I read a book recently that had me shaking my head and saying out loud, YES! It is “It’s OK to not be ok by Megan Devine. Trust me, it is worth a read it you are grieving get it. Other books placated grief, touched on it, and made you feel horrible for grieving. This one I was like yes, that, yes this! She knows her stuff and the book was amazing. Give it a read. Right now, Grief and I have made friends. We sit together and we talk, and one day I will not cry so much, but right now I am right where I should be in my walk of grief with my mother’s passing. Yesterday a cardinal stopped by, they are believed to be the presence of a loved one. It sat on my back fence about five feet from me and I said Hi Mom, it hopped closer and just looked at me and I thought, I hear you Mom, you are checking on me. I told her I would be fine in time, but I love and miss her so much.

I cried instantly. She was checking on me, and she was the one who died. I don’t think I could see a red cardinal anymore without thinking of her checking on me. It’s winter and beyond cold and I do not normally see any birds this time of year, but there was my mom. (or so I believe)

Life is hard, get some help if you need it. 988 is the suicide hotline, call if you need to. There is never shame in asking for help. I am looking for a grief counselor too. If you find a good one let me know, but for now, the grandbaby beckons.

I know you know grief; you cannot live without knowing it. Know we are all in this together and reach out if you want to talk. Here is to a good rest of the weekend for us all. You are all in my prayers.

Much love,

Debbie

xoxoxoxo

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Stories, Crazy Love Coffee Shop

Sunday Stories: Time Spent Well.

Third Place on a Sunday