Skip to main content

Grief is a Fickle Pickle

 

This is my bestie. Bestie of 27 years. He is always there for me, as I am for him. That white box is a birthday cake. He came down from another county to go to the fair with me and celebrate my birthday. 

Since my mom died, God bless him, he has listened to all my tears and sobbing and just let me cry on his shoulder. I keep thinking I am over the grief, but it comes at me like a bulldozer and I try to hide, which we all know does not work. 

Best friends are one of the most important things about grief. You need your BFF to be there at 2 AM, at 3pm, whatever day, whatever time. He just listens and I know he is thinking about his own mother who is older and not doing well. 

I keep coming back to the Crowder song when he talks about the dash on your tombstone. He sings how that dash represents the years you have. It is a small window of your life. You may be in the depth of crap right now in life, but it is a small part of your life. I cannot help but think every day that I am falling short of that dash. I am getting older and I know my time is limited. I know that every day that I am given is a gift.

Grief keeps me from being ok, I fear this is my new normal. I feel this shattered part of my soul and I feel like I'm sinking in it, so what am I to do? Call the bestie who gets me laughing, who reminds me I am a pain in his ass. 

I read all the books, I spent endless days, and months mourning and crying, and again I called on my best friend for support. Grief is a fickle pickle that knows no end.  I am ok, I am not. Wait a moment and it will change. Yesterday would have been her 78th birthday and it made me physically ill.  I texted the bestie and again he had me laughing. I feel we all need that special friend who through all of our pain can see us and reach us deep inside and send some light into the darkness. So today I say to you, that tiny dash flies by, go for what you want in life, do the crazy thing, do the fun things, and travel if you want or write a book if you want but your life will be done before you know it and I for one am trying to be more present in my life instead of on the phone or other distraction. I am calling the bestie now, so have a great night. Remember that dash, it is tiny, enjoy your life.


Your friend,

Debbie

xoxoxox


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day and the Sh*t show it will become. I AM READY!

                                             Mother's Day is coming in hot and my mother died.  This will be the first Mother's Day without her. My sister has plans that day, and I do not, but our hearts will be on Mom no matter what we do. There is no running away from grief.  Grief will fill our minds, and our hearts, and keep us focused on her passing away. Our minds will wander to her and wonder where she is in this vast universe. We will think of the last time we saw her, hugged, her, and talked with her. Grief will bring us back to her last breath. We will try to move on, move past, but you know what I have found out, that is BS. We all have our own grief walk to take. We all have our own correct path to move forward. I have thought about joining a grief support group and then thought perhaps not. I am not so sure I could listen to others about their grief. I am empathetic and know I would feel it all. Life has been difficult enough for me since she died. It feels like th

Love, Friendship, and the Sh*t we take because of it.

I have long known I am an empathetic person. I have always felt other peoples emotions deeply. Sometimes I wish I could turn it off, but recently I realized how much of a gift it is. I can hurt with them, I can share in the highs, I can be there fully for those who need me. I think it is a gift really. I might not always understand what the person has gone through, but I listen and feel the hurt down to my soul. It shakes me to my core and allows me to empathize with the person. This empathy is dangerous to me and my own happiness. While I feel other peoples emotions so deeply,I notice I feel mine even more. With every good or bad thing that happens I realize how much it resonates with my soul. It takes a tole on my body sometimes and that is not good. The definition of an empathic is this: of, relating to, or characterized by empathy , the psychological identification with the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of others: a sensitive, empathetic school couns

Collective Consciousness

While I think being part of a group is a great and beneficial happening, I do also believe in being alone with oneself. If we are all moving collectively forward we lose our individuality and own voice becomes muffled with the group we are currently partaking of. If we do not spend more time on our own we will lose ones self into the muddle of other temperaments and cease to be our own genuine self. If you have been following this blog for awhile you know I am a firm believer of the theory of Ray Oldenburg's third place. According to Oldenburg everyone needs a  home space, a work space, and a third place. The third place can range from coffee shops, barber shops, to parks, or soccer fields. Communities are losing their third places and we are losing our voices along with them. Hear me out. If our third place is where our collective voice is then how do we lose our own voice. Well I have a thought on that. I believe third places allow us to be part of a group, but a group rela