Bali: I dream of Travel

With a recent writing prompt I went down a rabbit hole to Bali. I had a character who won a trip and first place that plopped into my head was Bali. Now I have never been and would love to go, but Bali? Not somewhere I went already, somewhere where I knew the place, people, customs, nope Bali.

Photo by Omer Rana on Unsplash
 
I included the scenery in the story, the markets, the village, the house the character lived in and just about everything else I knew nothing about. My point is sometimes writing fiction is doing research. Sometime it is not the writing, but the writing with accuracy that matters. I love the lush landscape of the Bali countryside. The natural curves of the land are pure God's work. The being surrounded by water helps too.
 
 
 
A house in Bali may have doors, but the house is pretty much open. The air is sweet to nap in, the temperature is perfect. The sun is not fierce to fry you, and its all around gorgeous for living. My character got a house that had keys but a door that had no place for keys to go. I made my story a safe environment for my character. I strive for accuracy, my house was similar to this one, but had an open side area where my guy could sit and watch the world go by and day dream.
 
 
Photo by Artem Bali on Unsplash
The markets are a pure delight for the eyes and nose. The spices with their rich smells are at almost every vendor. The colors are bright and full of joy in every piece of jewelry that is made. Rugs, shawls, scarves, and shirts are woven with every color imaginable. My character loved walking through the market, though he lost something very valuable, but once he got it back he realized the magic was in the believing and the not in the possessing the item. *sorry spoiler alert there*
 
Bali is on my list of places I want to go. It is lush with Buddhists beliefs, full of buhha's all over the island. It is rich in history, its people, and the landscape, but Bali to me is magical. It is a place that is alive. Where one is happy and content and why wouldn't you be with all that this magical land has to offer you.
 
Until next time,
your story teller/poet 
xo
Debbie
 
 

Photo by Dennis Rochel on Unsplash


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Stories, Crazy Love Coffee Shop

Sunday Stories: Time Spent Well.

Third Place on a Sunday