Oscar Wilde a paper and poetry

So I have the more amazing professors at university. They talk in class about things on the syllabus, but after class, or before, they will talk to me about playwrights and poets and writings other than those that apply to the class. One such professor turned me onto loving Irish poets. In a recent used book sale I got a book called, " Irelands Love Poems" for $3.00.In my modern drama class one of the persons we speak of is Oscar Wilde. Now I admit I knew a smidge about him,, a very small smidge before this class, but guess who wrote a poem and is published in my new Poem book. Oscar Wilde. So without more of my rambling, I give you his poem entitled: Silentium Amoris

As often-times the too replendent sun
Hurries the pallid and reluctant moon
Back to her sombre cave, ere she hath won
A single ballad from the nightengale,
So doth thy Beauty make my lips to fail,
And all my sweetest singing out of tune.

And as dawn across the level mean
On wings impertous some wind will come,
And with its too harsh kisses break the read
Which was its only instrument of song,
So me to stormy passions work my wrong,
And for excess of Love my Love is dumb.

But surley unto Thee mine eyes did show
Why I am silent, and my lute unstrung;
Else it were better we sould part, and go,
Thou to some lips of sweeter melody,
And I to nurse the barren memory
Of unkissed kisses, and songs never sung.

What a lovely love poem, don't you think? Of unkissed kisses,, swoon. I hope the poem inspires you in some way. Maybe write your someone special a little love note on the bathroom mirror, or in their lunch box, or dash of their car. I am sure you will hear more from this book. I just got it and saw Wilde and was thankful for a professor who goes beyond what she needs to.. for me,,for anyone in class. She is one of a few really goods ones I have had. As I learn and as I grow, I am so thankful for those around who have helped mold me. This semester,,as everyone, I have 8-10 page papers to write. This is the first semester I have THREE of them at once. The one I am most excited about,,,the Pencil. Who invented it, how it changed, how it evolved into mechanical ones people use today. I am a lit geek and my French teacher got into it with me the other day. In French she asked where you go for fun in general. My answer, in french, was the library. She said no no you misunderstood, I actually,,,well for once,,, did not and I love the library. I love old books. I like finding them,cherishing them and passing on my love of them. For this teacher who was talking about Wilde,, I bought a modern drama book from 1930's. It was a hoot and I couldnt pass it up for $1, she loved it. Its so odd in the index, which is in  a paratext to the book ( see I am learning) it classified authors by genre. Now a days if you would think of Wilde and others you would certainly not loop them.

Literature and Libraries can be fun. Life is a journey, a challenge, rise to it ,investigate life, read more and simply have more fun!!!

PS I realize everyones fun is not the library, dont worry I wont drag you with me!!

xoxoxo
Debbie In Georgia :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Stories, Crazy Love Coffee Shop

Sunday Stories: Time Spent Well.

Third Place on a Sunday