Holiday Traditions and Compassion

With the holidays fast approaching this year I find new hope and love in new traditions and people. We USED to all gather and watch the Rockefeller Christmas tree lighting on TV and eat popcorn and have cocoa. This year I watched it alone, but I still had my cocoa. We used to string popcorn and fruits to hang outside for the birds. We don't do that anymore. We used to roll pine cones in peanut butter and then nuts for the birds,,no more.

 We used to,we used to, we used to ..... I am not sad about us not doing these traditions anymore. I am learning to adapt to new ones. The list can go on and on, but I know the kids treasured those moments growing up. I have high hopes when and if they have their own children they will carry on some of the old traditions. This year I hope to have some new holiday craft to do with my kids. Last year we made felt ornaments that now fill my tree. My son is 24 and my daughter is 20, but I treasure the times we spend doing activities like this. They will always be my favorite ornaments along with the other ones they made as small children.

 I hope this holiday season is filled with wonder for everyone of all ages. I feel blessed to have my children, my friends, and my art to keep me feeling fulfilled now and always. I recently have been back in touch with someone who is very special in my life over many many years and yesterday watched him and his mom string popcorn and cranberries. A time I am sure his mom will remember always. Fill your heart with love this holiday season. It is not in the presents,bows or bags. Love is in the heart of the people you care about the most. I hope you reach out to neighbors or strangers this holiday season. Buy someone a cup of tea. Give someone a sweet smile.

 My Buddha saying yesterday said, " The more you are motivated by Love, The more Fearless & Free your action will be". ~ Dalai Lama Yes there is an app for that. Though I am not a Buddhist I truly respect it. At the core everyone is human, everyone deserves respect and everyone deserves love. At this time and always I hope you are filled with happiness. I hope also that you find new traditions to embrace today and always.

As I am learning to let go of the past, live in the present and not worry about the future, I hope that you all enjoy today. Enjoy life. You only have one! Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukkah, and any other holiday you might be celebrating. My wish for you...as the Dalai Lama said, " If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy practice compassion." The world is a circle of people connected by compassion. I hope you feel connected to family, friends, traditions and grow this holiday season in your compassion for others.

 xoxo,
 Debbie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Stories, Crazy Love Coffee Shop

Sunday Stories: Time Spent Well.

Third Place on a Sunday