Winter Solstice: Long Dark Night

Tonight I went to a church type meeting about Winter Solstice and how dark, for some people, this time of year is. I have written before about my own struggles with this issue and shared, but tonight was different. Tonight we lit candles and were reminded that though we are in the darkest hours of the year we are also now on our way into the light.

I had a friend who was supposed to go, but he had to work, so afterwards I brought my candle and star of hope to him. We were told to take our light and go share it with someone else who needs it. He is struggling with some personal issues and I wish him much love and light always. I knew I would give him mine immediately.

Why is it though that we do not talk to each other about the darkness? We consider ourselves good people, we consider ourselves friends, but when it comes down to the darkness a lot of us rather swiftly throw it under a rug than talk to a friend about it. This friend and I are open and honest about everything, but you know sometimes you just aren't comfortable enough to get into the darkness with someone. I feel blessed to have him in my life. To have someone to share the darkness with and look forward to the light with. I also have a very special female friend who we joke around, but I know if I struggled deeply with depression at this time of year or ever she would be there for me in a heartbeat. I am blessed to have her in my life too. They are both amazing people.

I hope you all have someone you can talk to about the darkness. The dark spaces in your life and how you can deal with them. I want a better world where we don't text each other, we actually talk. We get into the darkness together and actually help each other out. I long for a world where we can talk and not be judged. Honestly we do judge, even if we don't mean to. It is hard to hear someone is in the darkness. I am here to tell you please go into the darkness with your friend and be the light that they need to find their way out. They aren't going to pull you into it, you can though pull them out. If nothing else maybe guide them to a well lit area. Help navigate the darkness with them.

Holidays have a way of making us feel somewhat less of what we should be. They make us feel like we aren't enough. We don't have enough. We need more. Well we don't have enough. That's true. We don't have enough light to help our friends. We don't have enough love to get into the darkness and risk the darkness to pull someone out. We need more love, more light and more compassionate people. Being vulnerable with someone is hard. Trust me I know, but at this juncture in life, isn't it time we risk it to get closer with the people we call friends?

I wish you all a happy light filled winter solstice. Maybe the light of one true friend be enough to guide you out of the darkness. May your heart be open to help in the darkness and may you always have the home light burning at the holiday season to keep your mind on the reason for the season, Jesus.

May God bless you all and may this holiday season fill the deepest part of all your hearts with light.

From my heart to yours, sending love and light
Your storyteller friend
Debbie
xoxox


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Stories, Crazy Love Coffee Shop

Sunday Stories: Time Spent Well.

Third Place on a Sunday